Post  jgiesman on Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:05 pm

how bout a taco stand?
jgiesman
Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What would you do to Mesker?

Post  Wrian Bilson on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:51 pm

Hey Scotty how are things going up at patoka with the extra course? Anything Ace Eagle can do?
Wrian Bilson
Addicted to Disc Golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fest on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:54 pm

I recently met with the parks, baseball, & soccer directors to get approval for the proposed layout at the State Hospital. Everything went great & they all gave their approval of the design. The baseball directors have even given us access to their bathrooms which will be located around holes 3, 4, & 5. They have a concession stand as well, Jeff maybe you can get them to sell tacos. I have sent the Course proposal, layout, & cost estimate to the Evansville Parks Foundation, who paid for Mesker Park, to see if they are willing to fund another course. I will let you know when I hear from the Foundation, but keep in mind anybody or any business that would be interested in sponsorship. We now have 2 courses with layouts approved that need funding, State Hospital & Scales Lake. Hey Job, what about “Rosedale Park at Scales Lake” it’s got a nice ring to it. We are going to hold off on the alternate pin placements at Mesker for now & focus on new courses.
Fest
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JobWilson82 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:00 pm

Hey Nick,that sounds great. I doubt a sponsor would put up all that money and then put RoseDale Services in the name, though. Smile

Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  scottyb on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Brian Wilson wrote:Hey Scotty how are things going up at patoka with the extra course? Anything Ace Eagle can do?

Not really, its still going through all the political processes..

scottyb
Addicted to Disc Golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  CZuber on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:38 pm

What kind of Figure are we talking about? For a Course Sponsor to have their name in the title.
CZuber
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rudibaughs3 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:01 pm

Fest wrote:I recently met with the parks, baseball, & soccer directors to get approval for the proposed layout at the State Hospital. Everything went great & they all gave their approval of the design. The baseball directors have even given us access to their bathrooms which will be located around holes 3, 4, & 5. They have a concession stand as well, Jeff maybe you can get them to sell tacos. I have sent the Course proposal, layout, & cost estimate to the Evansville Parks Foundation, who paid for Mesker Park, to see if they are willing to fund another course. I will let you know when I hear from the Foundation, but keep in mind anybody or any business that would be interested in sponsorship. We now have 2 courses with layouts approved that need funding, State Hospital & Scales Lake. Hey Job, what about “Rosedale Park at Scales Lake” it’s got a nice ring to it. We are going to hold off on the alternate pin placements at Mesker for now & focus on new courses.

First, I'm glad to hear all went well with the State Hospital! that's great news.

Second, Can we vote before deciding on holding off on the alt. pin placements?

Nick, I know you're interested in the alt. pin locations, but to everyone else who's spoken against it...I know we all love Mesker the way it is, but I can't think of a great course that I've played that doesn't have a variety of pin locations...Cedar Hill, Seven Oaks, Centralia, Idlewild, and many many more. It would be really selfish for us to not continue improving Mesker by adding variety for the weekly club golfers just because we don't want change. It isn't as if anyone is suggesting permanent removal of anything existing, only another layout option. Doing this makes the course more versatile and better for tournament play and also helps with erosion to keep it looking its best. Alternate pin placements are a big win for disc golf in Evansville, not a bad thing. We need to not do what we want, but rather do what is gonna be best for the sport in the long run. No matter where the pin is, at Mesker, with the hills, tees, and fairways not changing, it's still gonna be Mesker. Just my two cents. Smile
rudibaughs3
Addicted to Disc Golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wrian Bilson on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:40 pm

I think voting is a really good idea David. I am opposed to alt pin placements (I AM NOT ON CRACK) but you bring up really strong points. A vote would settle the issue, in my mind.

I would love to see course improvements before alt pin Placements. For example working water fountain, bathrooms, new tee signs, etc. Also we are going to have to put work into the state hospital too.

Wrian Bilson
Addicted to Disc Golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

changes at mesker???

Post  jbphoto on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:23 pm

After absorbing all the posts, & putting them in a blender, i came up with this....

!. Any money raised should be on a new course! (State Hospital, Scales Lake)

2. Any money raised should be on a new course! (State Hospital, Scales Lake)

3. Which brings me to Mesker... The current 18 holes @ Mesker are comparative to the Pumpkin Shootout there PERFECT! Mesker does not dictate alternate pin placements, we cant change the holes from 350ft to 750ft as in Cedar Hill, Centralia, or Idelwild. Moving a basket 20-40 feet left or right does nothing. With this said... the State Hospital course lends itself to alternate pin placements. We could have a hole that is 1000ft. or 375ft. Think about it there are only a couple holes @ Mesker to lengthen.... WHY? Mesker is like Charlie Vettner it doesn't need alt pins it plays perfect the way it is. There are 15 legitimate birdies @ Mesker when someone routinely gets them in one round we should think of a change. Otherwise not...
Now my ideas on changes... Before the Pumpkin Shootout next year, we place sleeves on the 2 alt holes for permanent residency. Second Nick has mentioned an additional 9 in the woods I'm all for it.. of course after 1 & 2 goals are achieved!!!! This is based off the KISS rule (keep it simple stupid)

jbphoto
Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  natmance on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:08 pm

To Nick or anyone who can answer this accurately:
What would be a good figure to ask for when talking to a potential hole sponsor?

natmance
Addicted to Disc Golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JobWilson82 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:09 pm

JB is right.

I think I am like a lot of people and feel very in the dark when it comes to the State Hospital/Woodmere layout. Can we have some kind of idea as to what the layout will be? I'm pumped about a new course, but I don't want a Mesker II.

Can we get an idea as to what to expect? Maybe a google maps deal with a rough layout on it?

Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  NathanielLR88 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:15 pm

ya i was just thinking about alt pins. any the queston i came up with was..where are you going to put them. most holes have less then 50ft around them of free land to work with.
NathanielLR88
Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JobWilson82 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:58 pm

NathanielLR88 wrote:ya i was just thinking about alt pins. any the queston i came up with was..where are you going to put them. most holes have less then 50ft around them of free land to work with.

Examples: Hole 1 - Past the current basket, down the bank and by the wood line. Hole 6 - To the right of the current placement, down a bank in the woods.

Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rudibaughs3 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:51 am

1. Although I absolutely agree that we should raise funds to contribute to the new courses, like Mesker, the financial burden is likely to be largely carried by outside funding...hopefully, for the State Hospital, the Parks Foundation will come through again, just like they did with Mesker.

2. Each new course is going to be likely around $15,000 at least. How much money and time is it going to take for alternate pin locations at Mesker. Alot less, and it's also been approved by the city. It seems crazy to not just get it done.

3. Mesker is GREAT. It's Easily in my top 10 out of more than 100 courses played, but It is incorrect to call it or the Pumpkin perfect. That is the definition of complacent. If we are to strive for excellence, we have to constantly keep looking forward. As a club, we've taken great steps forward and I know we collectively all want the same thing....the best disc golf AEDGC can possible offer...look at the club, the Pumpkin, and Mesker...look at all the positive things going on with the adopt a hole, the leagues, Sunday events, player growth, and organization that's occurred in this past year alone. We can't allow ourselves to look and say it's perfect the way it is...there's always room for growth.

JB, I really like the idea of 2 permanent sleeves for the alt holes! While we're at it, lets put a sleeve on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, and 18. Each of those have potential to have an impactful alternate pin location. Think of hole 6 stuck longer up in the woods with a drop off behind it. Changes things. Not that Mesker isn't amazing...cause it is. Adding alternate pin placements will strengthen local players by offering slightly different shots to learn. and it gives us options with Mesker... If we weren't looking for options, then why does everyone always play safari golf? It's because we want a different look now and then.

It doesn't matter if noone's shooting 15 down all the time. Reality is that I can go out and play poorly or play well and almost always shoot between 52-57. If you play anywhere long enough, you learn how to score there. If the layout varies, even slightly, it will force you to throw some different shots. Thats the point of alternate pin locations.

This is obviously not a decision that one man's opinion can make, and since we're a club, we should do what clubs do...objectively listen to each perspective and vote based on each person's individual convictions. No Matter the outcome, we're all disc golfers...weirdos with a bizarre obsession with plastic and chains... king
rudibaughs3
Addicted to Disc Golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GMcAtee on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:51 pm

I like the idea of using 8's short pad and putting the basket across the creek. Then you can use the long pad backwards toward 7A and figure out a 7B coming back down the hill to connect back to 8.

It's fun speculating, but I like it the way it is.

GMcAtee
Pro

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wrian Bilson on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:26 pm

David you fosho bring up some excellent points.
You are correct that the course and the Pumpkin are not perfect but they are both really good. To keep improving each I think there are things that we can do besides Alt Pins to make it better. Bigger player packs, cleaner course, brdiges, flowers, cool stuff.

If you are going looking for more options to play, go to USI, play safari at USI, play the State Hospital (when its in the ground, play Hendo, play Hendo Safari. If people are looking to get better, the disc golf course is not the place to do it. We will be throwing through the same holes with a different up shot.. Go to a field and learn yo frisbees.

Playing the same course 7 days a week is bad, that is why Bag Tags will be rotating this year. So we can get that differnt looks we all need.

Though I agree we need a vote on this matter. Whatever the outcome is, it will be cool because we settled it properly.

FRISBEES ARE SOOOOOOOOO COOL.
Smile
Wrian Bilson
Addicted to Disc Golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Fest on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:03 am

Our #1 goal as a club has always been & will continue to be to grow the sport of disc golf in the greater Evansville area. The best way to accomplish this goal is to build another quality course in one of the city's most populated areas to expose new people to this great game. Another course will bring more players, sponsors, tournaments, & more money to be put back into course development & improvements (such as alt. pin placements). Also, just to clarify the alt. pins idea has been approved by the Parks Director, but still has to go in front of the Parks Board. We have a great opportunity to get a new course & we can't afford to let it slip away. Things are constantly changing with city officials & even though the St. Hospital is approved today, if we don’t act on it, it may not be the same story a year or two from now. We cannot tie up our money in alt. pins when the real need for growth is a new course. If the Foundation cannot fund the St. Hospital, then the club may have to fund a couple holes. Our #1 priority has always been to build more courses; the alt. pin idea was only brought up because we didn't have an approved course to focus on. Hope to see everyone at Ice Bowl!
Fest
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MKern41598 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Nick very well said just took the words out of my mouth.... and i agree new course all the way so lets all work together to get this in the ground and not worry about mesker which is already in the ground!!!!
MKern41598
Addicted to Disc Golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

amen

Post  john short on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:03 am

I say we get the state hosp. In the ground scales lake in the ground an some more I'm ready to put the work in an help with whatever I can help do to get more courses in the ground these next few years. cyclops
john short
Ace Eagle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rudibaughs3 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:14 am

I'm all for new courses! I'm also all for alt pin placements. So, we aren't going to vote on this?
rudibaughs3
Addicted to Disc Golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JobWilson82 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:24 am

While I plan on voting against Alt-Pin locations (as I believe the majority does), I do believe it would be very democratic for us to vote on this issue. So, we need to organize a meeting and vote on this. I also believe we have some other items up for discussion.

When can we expect our next meeting? B-Dub, book the library.

Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Wrian Bilson on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:54 pm

The library can be booked in a matter of seconds. Just let me know when.
Wrian Bilson
Addicted to Disc Golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AceEagle1 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:30 pm

Shouldn't the club be spending the little bit of cash we have on new courses?
AceEagle1
Club President
Club President

View user profile http://www.ONETIMEDISCGOLF.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JobWilson82 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:55 pm

AceEagle1 wrote:Shouldn't the club be spending the little bit of cash we have on new courses?

Of course.

Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Charlie Aubrey on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Shouldn't the club be spending the little bit of cash we have on new courses?

Shouldn't we also settle it via a vote? Honestly, I would just like to have a club meeting to figure out why all of a sudden the alternate pins went from: they ARE going to happen, to it not happening and everyone hating even the idea of them. If the state hospital isn't going to get funded by the parks department, I completely agree that the money should go to the new course. But at the last meeting, (maybe I wasn't paying attention) it seemed that Nick was planning on them paying for all/most of it. What happened to that? I was under the impression that we would be getting both.
Charlie Aubrey
Addicted to Disc Golf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum